Friday, October 17, 2008

Battle of the Wheels

Singaporean drivers love to use their cars, after plonking so much dough on their beloved wheels. Their favourite part of the car, it seems, is the horn. And after having to spend so much dough just to be on the public roads, it seems that they totally hate to share the roads with bicycles, which have to pay nothing. And, with the currently topsy-turvy economy, it is so apparent that drivers are more often than not in bad moods, so especially after work in the evenings.

Whenever I cycle on the roads nowadays, I get an average of 3 horns a day. I get horned when some vehicle wants to overtake me. (This is fine with me, if it is for good safety sense) I get horned when I venture any more than 3 inches outside the double-yellow lines. For info, under Rule 28 of the Singapore Road Traffic Rules, enacted in 1981, cycling on footways is prohibited. Like any other vehicles, bicycles are to be ridden on the roads. So, stop trying to force bicycles off the roads! Unless you want more reckless noisy non-stop-bell-ringing China and Bangla bikers on pavements trying to knock down your kids and old folks! You bloody drivers choose! I get horned when I am impeded by some bulky trash by the road side and have to stop. Hey, at least I stop by the road side and wait for cars to get by before I turn out into the lane to get past the obstacle! And I'm taking up not much more space than the width of the double-yellow lines. Why horn at me? My conscience is so so clear. I'll let the Gods judge. I have a Class 3 driving license too, and I do try my best not to impede other drivers. I do try my best not to ride in their blind spots, and I try my very best to ride straight and not weave about, even with a big bag of notes and a change of clothes and shoes on my back. I signal when I need to turn or in any situation which I think is dangerous. I check the traffic all-round whenever I turn or go through cross-junctions. Sometimes, I admit it's my fault to be careless and ride dangerously, especially so when I'm tired or stressed and thinking about some other stuff while on the roads. It's times when I did nothing wrong and still get pissed off by some person in a bad mood sitting in a metal box that really gets on my nerves. 

It's not all bad though, these Singaporean drivers. I do get wonderful drivers who will wave back at me when I signal to turn or go straight at cross junctions. But for every one of such good guys, I'll get 3 bloody childish wussy drivers who signal back with their middle fingers, and another 5 wimpy drivers who will signal back with their horns and high beams, and one cock who will silently try to squeeze past me with nothing more than 2 inches between me and his vehicle and another 2 inches between me and the side kerb. 

But so surprisingly, some of the nicest guys turn out to be bus drivers, especially SBS ones, who will have no problems driving behind me especially on busy roads and when nearing left turns or bus stops. SMRT bus drivers are not always as good, as they love to drive as though driving for pole position at the Marina Bay Grand Prix. And they love to test biker's balls as they squeeze bikers close to the limit (side kerb) with their Bendy-buses. They make Hamilton's first-corner move at last week's Japan Grand Prix seem like courtesy driving~! *By the way, it wasn't Hamilton who forced Kimi Raikonen off the track, it was his team mate Kovalainen. But still it was Hamilton who messed everybody up though~*

No comments: