Sunday, January 21, 2007

Discovery (Mud-) Fest...

My ride today was a mud-fest, there wasn't a clear road longer than 10m between mud pools, and all I managed were lap times of sissy minutes and wussy seconds and a lot of pushing and walking... but at those speeds, I managed to notice more of the surroundings... I found 3 different species of pitcher plants on my trail along Upper Pierce Reservoir! These are the lower pitchers of Nepenthes Ampullaria... listed in guide books as the rarest pitcher plant in S'pore... these look so cute in a clump and they were quite tiny too...


The upper pitcher of Nepenthes Ampullaria, looks like a tea cup... and described in books as rarely seen and observed... lucky me!


This is considered the most common pitcher plant in S'pore... Nepenthes Gracilis or the Graceful Pitcher plant due to its slender shape and nice lime-green colour... True enough there were loads of them along the trail...


This giant is Nepenthes Rafflesiana, named after Sir Stanford Raffles, it's the largest pitcher plant found in S'pore and looks almost regal compared to the other two...


Stopped to give way to this quartet of inch-and-a-half giant ants crossing the trail... they won't look good squashed guts and all on my tires!


Almost forgot the colour of my bike under all the mud....

No comments: