Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Singletrack link
This article in Singletrack, an online bicycling magazine, is the first one that I've read that says that not wearing a helmet would make cycling safer! Apparently, wearing a helmet makes drivers give less space while overtaking, and that making cyclists wear helmets by law would make less people want to cycle, and with less bikes on the roads, the risks per biker would increase, which personally I feel is true. Most drivers in S'pore take the roads for granted, and forget that according to Traffic Police rules, bicycles are entitled to half a lane's space on the roads, and that bicycles are entitled to use the roads as much as any other road vehicle. Drivers are also required to leave 2 feet spacing while overtaking bicycles, although this may be difficult given the constant congestion and width of local roads. But local cyclists are not perfect either. 99% of them don't signal when changing lanes or turning (I do!). 50% cannot cycle straight with swerving left/right. 95% don't wave back to drivers who do give way (I do! I smile back even!) But local drivers seem to be always in a rush, even slowing down for a cyclist seems too hard for them, which would at most cost them maybe 5 seconds more to their total journey time? Too many times I get drivers speeding past me not giving way, only to be stopped at the traffic lights 50m ahead, with me stopping right beside him, me grinning away at him, with the driver black-faced! But I have nice drivers who give way, and even if we stop at the traffic lights together, we'll chit-chat about the weather, about the traffic, about bike-commuting, and we part feeling happy. Isn't this a much better outcome? Either way, I still choose to cycle-commute, especially in the mornings and evenings, traffic congestion or not. Except on days which require me to be dressed nicely (too much clothes to carry on my bike!), or on especially hot or wet days... but my personal gripe is that it is darn difficult to get secure bike parking in S'pore! Parking anywhere else apart from inside your own home would be tempting bike thieves!

No comments: