Friday, May 04, 2007

Night Cycling, Morning Shower, Bridge Crossing

Night cycling - Tang Yuans... Nasi Lemak... Terracotta soldiers... Oyster Omelettes and Carrot cakes... Newton prawn noodles... Numb posteriors...

Heavy shower during the early morning ride home. Was wishing for wipers on my eyes. Tried a new route home from Holland Village, and ended up having to cross a disused rail bridge over the Sungei Pandan river, right alongside the AYE. One arm straddling my bike, trotting across metal planks of the bridge. I realised I was getting scared, halfway across the bridge. It was scary, seeing the muddy river water flowing below through the gaps of the metal planks 3-4 meters below. I remembered that this river claimed the life of a girl just last week. I realised that wet metal is slippery. In my mind, I thought about the possible consequences of me slipping, or getting my shoe caught in between the gaps, or a metal plank breaking or coming loose. I wondered if my bike could float on water. I wondered if crocodile sightings along the river were real. Still, I just prodded forward, one step at a time, making sure each metal plank has four bolts tightly screwed in place before my shoe made contact with it. I tried not to look at the gap in between the planks, where the brown waters gushed without remorse. And I made it across, without any drama, other than the blockbuster that just played in my mind. Phew.

Thanks to Frizal and Qingfa for the photos!

No comments: