Saturday, October 31, 2009

The cleaner aunty at my plant in Tuas has passed away, on the bus, on her way to work early in the morning (those who read the New Paper would know...). Apparently, she suffered a heart attack and burst artery while on the bus, and passed away almost immediately... We were all so shocked when we got the call from her cleaning supervisor. She was a frail lady, yet she insisted on coming to work every single day except Sundays, where she'll go out with her grandchildren. Soft-spoken, and ever so courteous, yet always ready to smile and chit-chat. She always ask before coming in to mop the meeting room floor, where I'll be every morning to check my emails before I start work. She'll always greet me whenever I go to get water from the water cooler. She'll always greet me when I go out for lunch, always reminding me to go early to beat the crowds. She'll never get angry even when I step into the toilet and leave my black safety-shoe prints on the floor. And I'll try to greet her if I see her too. I'll even try to chat with her when I finish lunch early and see her sitting in her chair by the stairs. She even asked if I needed coins to buy drinks from the vending machine just the day before she suffered the heart attack! Now, we'll all get goosebumps whenever we pass by the stairs, with the empty chair and her slippers beside it. And I'll never feel the same whenever I check my emails in the meeting room. It felt worse when we heard that she had to lie for hours on the bus, before the police brought her to the mortuary. And her kin had to wait for two days before they got to see her. So sad, for an old lady to leave without to see her loved ones, without getting her daily hug from her 3-yr old grandson, with seeing her older sister in hospital. At least she left the world with love from all over; the office people, her cleaning partner uncle, even the Bangala worker from our plant came on his own accord to her wake with flowers for her. Really touching. Really sad.

1 comment:

Jinyu said...

I feel for it too.
Life, is fragile.
We really need to learn how to treasure and appreciate.