Sunday, July 20, 2008

Back to the trails~

Took some time to try to fix my rickety old Giant, was itching real badly for some trail riding after watching videos and pictures of the Mt. Snow US mountain bike championships haha! Got it to stop creaking, until 15 mins into my road ride to Bt. Timah haiz... Realized how heavy a real mountain bike is as compared to my other bike which has no gears and roadie tires, must be a good 5-6kg more! And it feels so much softer and comfy, like comparing a sofa to a wooden park bench! Having gears allows for faster speeds at lower effort levels, but it doesn't feel quite as fun as suffering on a singlespeed bike...

My first half of BT was sort of an acclimatization ride, having to get used to the loose gravel and muddy surfaces and dancing around rocks, roots, logs and durians after months off the trail... Then when it all started to come back to me again, then I really opened the throttle... I managed to catch, and overtake a couple of riders who were on super expensive carbon-framed Scotts, first by riding right behind them and pressuring them, still they stood their ground and didn't want to let me pass them... I noticed that they really couldn't climb, turn and descend as fast as me, and I shifted to my big ring and blasted right past them on a climb, on my heavy creaky rickety bike! That felt real good wahaha! Ok ok, I know I'm a competitive person... =p

Then over at BT, a bunch of young riders on super expensive downhill bikes and the full gear were practising on the stairsteps-downhill section. I have nothing against young riders or downhill riders, but these guys were quite arrogant, and still blocked my way! Man I was pissed, and I showed them how to descend that stairsteps section at speed on a 3-inch suspension travel cross-country bike... Who needs their 8-inch travel bikes for that little section? Cheap thrill~

Found 2 little durians along the way, but I had no knife to open them, nor carrier bags to bring them home, so I can only give them to the passing jogger uncle haiz... But later in the evening, my uncle brought durians to my home yeah~! Everyone in my family have this same character where we don't really talk much, resulting in a really quiet house most of the time... My uncle and his family on the other hand are rather chatty and fun-loving people, and only in the presence of them do our house really have that jovial, prosperous atmosphere, good to have them here~

No comments: