Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Scared~

My mum's cataract operation was done yesterday, it was a short operation, lasting only about 30 minutes in the OT, although the pre-op registration and checks took a good 2.5 hours, not including the barrage of urine and blood tests the week before. My mum only has a cataract in one eye, the other looked pretty normal to me, so hopefully this will be the last time she'll be here... Now post-op she's doing pretty fine, although she's being rather 'pantang' and avoiding many foods and daily activities that other relatives (fellow uncles and aunties...) say is bad for her, although the nurse had said otherwise, like no housework, no cooking, no TV and newspaper reading... so she's sitting in her room looking really bored, next to the radio that I had moved onto her table, with her sunglasses and curtains drawn because of a sudden sensitivity to light on the operated eye, while I have to cook for her everyday, and I'm doing all the laundry... My cooking isn't good at all, must think of ways to improve otherwise her tastebuds might be dead after 2 weeks haha~!

Had a run today, tried running from my place to Clementi via the park connectors. It was drizzling lightly, and I love it! Noticed how dark I had become, after all the cycling around last 2 weeks... Ran to this disused railbridge across the Ulu Pandan river, the second time I've been here, and crossed it. I had forgotten my previous experience, and wow, I now know that I have this real fear of crossing bridges over water. Strange, because I have absolutely no problems with high bridges over terra ferma. But I was shaking when I was on this railbridge, especially when I could see the river waters flowing through the gaps between the metal strips... I had to stop on the bridge twice, holding on to the siderails! And still I was so scared that the siderails might somehow give way~! I was scared that my shoe may fall through the gaps (the gaps are about 2 inchs wide?)... But halfway across the bridge, I can't chicken out, and I was cursing why the bridge is so long (it wasn't that long), man this bridge really brought out the wussy in me haha~!

It's not like I can't swim... and the bridge wasn't really that high too... But it wasn't difficult to make the decision to run the longer way home along the main roads rather than cross the railbridge and run on the park connectors on the return journey... Luckily my jelly-legs recovered immediately once I got onto solid ground and could try to look handsome (ok, no frog prince, maybe a handsome toad hahas~!) and run my way home~ =p

No comments: